Prep: 30 min
Main Ingredient: Whole Wheat
● ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour (see Ann’s Tips)
● ½ cup buckwheat flour
● 2 tablespoons cane sugar
● 2½ teaspoons baking powder
● ¼ teaspoon salt
● 1 large egg
● ½ cup plain yogurt
● 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
● 2 tablespoons butter, melted
● ½ teaspoon lemon zest
● ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
● Butter, for cooking
● ¾ cup frozen or fresh berries
1. In a small bowl, whisk or sift together the whole wheat pastry flour, buckwheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl whisk the egg and yogurt together. If using regular yogurt, add in 2 tablespoons of milk, and if using Greek yogurt use 4 tablespoons of milk. Whisk in the melted butter, lemon zest and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients just until moistened. The batter will be very thick and a little bit lumpy.
4. Heat a cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add a pat of butter to the pan, and once it bubbles and melts, pour about a ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. Work in batches so you do not crowd the pan. Press berries into the pancakes.
5. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until the edges of the pancakes look cooked and bubbles form on the top of the pancakes. Flip and cook for another 3 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.