A spicy red lentil soup that is delicious, fast and easy. This hearty lentil soup is embellished with fresh spinach and spices.
Ready in 45 mins
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 225g (8 oz) fresh or frozen spinach
- 375g (13 oz) red lentils
- 450ml (16 fl oz) water
- 1 dessertspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in tomatoes, spinach and lentils, and pour in water. Season with basil, cardamom, cumin, cayenne pepper and curry powder. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.
Transfer the soup to a blender (or use a hand held blender), and blend until smooth before serving.