Ready in 1 Hour(s) 10 Minutes
• 15g butter
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• 4 red onions, finely sliced
• 200ml white wine
• 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 350ml chicken stock, made with 1 chicken stock cube
• 2 level tsp cornflour
• Sausages, to serve
• Mashed potato, to serve
• Green beans, to serve
- Melt the butter and oil in a pan. Add the onions and stir to coat. Cover and cook over a very low heat, stirring often, until they're a deep golden colour - this will take 30-40 minutes. Don't be tempted to speed this up.
- Add the wine and thyme and boil fast, uncovered, until the wine is reduced by half. As the wine reduces, the flavour will intensify, become richer and all the alcohol will burn off.
- Pour in the stock and leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the thyme.
- Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp cold water and stir into the onion mixture. Simmer for 2-4 minutes, then serve with sausages, mash and beans. If you want to serve it as part as a vegetarian meal, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock