Prep: 30 min
● ¾ cup rolled oats
● 1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk (see Ann’s Tips)
● ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
● 1½ teaspoon baking powder
● ¾ teaspoon baking soda
● ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
● ¼ teaspoon salt
● 1 large egg
● 2 tablespoon melted butter or grape seed oil
● 1 tablespoon brown sugar
● 1 tablespoon grape seed oil or butter, for pan
1. Soak the oats in 1 cup of buttermilk for at least 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
3. Make a well in the center and add in the eggs, melted butter or grapeseed oil, brown sugar, remaining buttermilk and the soaked oats. Mix well.
4. Heat a lightly oiled skillet or griddle over medium heat. Using a ¼ cup measure, spoon the batter onto the skillet. Do not crowd the pan. Cook for 1½ to 2 minutes on each side. If not serving immediately, keep the pancakes warm in a 200 degree oven.