Irish Cream Tiramisu
- 9 teaspoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 350ml or 1½ cups water (cooled)
- 250 ml baileys
- 400 grams savoiardi (ladyfingers) biscuits
- 2 large eggs
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 500 grams mascarpone cheese
- 2 ½ teaspoons cocoa powder
- Combine the coffee with 175ml (¾ cup) of Baileys in a shallow bowl. Dip the biscuits into the liquid, let them soak on each side to become damp but not soggy. Line the bottom of a 22cm (8½ inch) square glass dish with a layer of biscuits.
- Separate the eggs, keeping one egg white in a separate bowl. Whisk the two yolks with the sugar until thick and light yellow, next fold in the remaining 75ml (¼ cup) of Baileys with the mascarpone to make a light, mousse mixture.
- Whisk the one egg white until frothy and thick – a balloon whisk is recommended (this will help not to over-whisk the egg white). Fold the egg white into the mascarpone mixture, then spread half on top of the layer of biscuits.
- Repeat with another layer of soaked Savoiardi (ladyfingers), then top with the final mascarpone mixture, that is now folded with egg white.
- Cover the tiramisu with clingfilm, then place in the fridge to set overnight. When preparing to serve, simply press the cocoa powder through a small tea strainer to dust the top of the tiramisu.