Prep: 15 min
Main Ingredient: Oats
● 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
● 1 cup old-fashioned oats
● ½ cup ground flax seed
● 3 tablespoons unsweetened dried coconut
● 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
● 2 tablespoons baking powder
● ½ teaspoon kosher salt
● 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
● ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
● 2 ripe bananas, crushed with a fork
● ½ cup unsweetened or homemade applesauce
● 2 tablespoons canola, or vegetable oil
● 1 large egg
● 3 tablespoons milk (I use almond milk)
● 2 tablespoons maple syrup
● ½ cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray them lightly with vegetable oil spray.
2. Combine whole wheat flour, oats, ground flax, coconut, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
3. Mash the peeled bananas in a medium bowl with a fork; add the applesauce, oil, egg, milk and maple syrup and mix well to break up the egg and thoroughly combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork– your batter will be stiff and lumpy. Mix in the blueberries.
5. Fill each muffin liner or tin section to the top, so that batter is slightly mounded.
6. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes; a cake tester inserted should come out clean.