Serves: Makes 12 muffins
Prep: 20 – 30 min
Main Ingredient: Whole Wheat
● 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
● ½ teaspoon baking soda
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● ¾ teaspoon salt
● ½ cup fine brown sugar (Florida Crystals), plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
● Grated peel of 1 lemon
● 1 small ripe banana, mashed
● 2 large eggs, beaten
● 1 cup buttermilk
● ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
● 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
● 1½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
You will need: 1-12 cup muffin pan well greased or lined with paper muffin cups
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sift the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar and lemon zest.
3. Beat the bananas, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter.
4. Fold the banana mixture into the flour ingredients, with just 10-12 quick strokes of a spatula. The batter will be lumpy and streaked with dry flour, but it is essential not to over-mix the batter for a tender muffin.
5. Carefully fold in ¾ of the blueberries with another 4-5 strokes. By this time the batter will mixed in but still a little uneven. If it is too smooth, you’ve over-mixed it!
6. Fill the muffin cups ½-⅔ full, depending on preferred size, scatter the remaining blueberries on top and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of brown sugar.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.