Serves: 4 people
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
• x2 200g dry cured smoked bacon rashers, diced.
• 1 tbsp Oil.
• 2 leeks.
• 1 egg.
• 200g low fat cream cheese.
• A pinch of black pepper - to taste.
• 325g can sweetcorn, drained or if frozen about 260g.
• 500g packet puff pastry.
• 60ml milk.
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 400°F.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the bacon and leeks, then fry until the bacon is fully cooked and the leeks soften.
3. Add the cream cheese to the pan and combine. Heat through, and allow to thicken for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the black pepper and sweetcorn, then place in a large ceramic dish.
5. Roll out the pastry to generously cover the dish on top.
(Optional Step: Decorate by pressing down a folk around the rim repeatedly; or pinch the rim repeatedly for a frill effect.)
6. In a separate small bowl, place 1 egg with 60ml milk, mix until combined, then brush onto pastry for a shiny, golden finish.
7. Place in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and well risen.
8. Serve with a selection of seasonal green vegetables.