Serves: Makes 18 small muffins
Prep: 30 min
Main Ingredient: Quinoa
● 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
● 1 teaspoon baking powder
● 1 teaspoon baking soda
● 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
● ½ teaspoon salt
● ¾ cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons reserved
● ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, or grape seed oil
● 1 large egg
● 1 cup Greek yogurt or buttermilk
● 1 cup cooked Quinoa
● 2 large Pink Lady or Golden Delicious apples, peeled cored and cut into ½-inch dice
● ½ cup chopped walnuts
● 3 tablespoons chopped prunes or raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour 18 muffin cups or line with cup liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a separate large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, coconut oil, egg, yogurt or buttermilk, and cooked quinoa until well combined. Add in the dry ingredients, and mix with a wooden spoon, just until absorbed.
4. Gently fold in the apples, walnuts and prunes.
5. Fill muffin tins ¾ full. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the reserved brown sugar. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the muffins are well golden and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
6. Let cool for 3 minutes in the muffin tins, then transfer on a cooling rack. Eat warm or at room temperature. Keep in an airtight container for three days or tightly wrap with plastic and freeze for up to 4 months.