Serves 4 (makes 16 pancakes)
18 mins to prepare and 12 mins to cook
100g (3 1/2oz) light cream cheese
1 lemon, juiced and finely zested, plus extra to garnish
200g (7oz) wholemeal plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
small handful basil leaves, chopped
small handful parsley, chopped
2 eggs, separated
200ml (7f oz) semi-skimmed milk
butter, for greasing
1 avocado, quartered and sliced
150g (5oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
1. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese with the lemon zest and juice. Season with black pepper and set aside until needed.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, herbs and 1/4 tsp salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
3. Add the egg yolks and half the milk. Using a fork, gently stir to combine, drawing in the flour from the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining milk and continue mixing to form a smooth batter.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites, until stiff peaks form. Using a metal spoon, gently fold the egg whites into the batter, being careful not to knock the air out.
5. Put a large, frying pan over a medium-high heat and lightly brush with a little butter to grease. Spoon 4 generous tbsp of batter into the pan to make 4 separate pancakes. Cook for 1 minute, until bubbles rise to the surface, then turn and cook for a further 30 seconds – 1 minute. Transfer to a warm plate, covered with a tea towel. Repeat to make 16 pancakes.
6. To serve, arrange 4 pancakes on each plate with some sliced avocado and tomatoes. Top with a dollop of the lemon cream cheese and scatter with a little extra lemon zest.
348 calories / serving