Serves: Makes 16 muffins
Prep: 20 – 30 min
Main Ingredient: Sweet Potatoes
● 14-ounces (about 2 medium) sweet potato, peeled
● 4 large eggs
● 1 cup brown sugar
● 2 teaspoons lemon zest
● 1 heaping teaspoon freshly grated ginger (optional)
● 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
● ½ teaspoon sea salt
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
● ½ cup olive oil, plus more for muffin tins
● ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce (see Ann’s Tip)
● ½ cup chopped walnuts
● ½ cup golden raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper cups or lightly grease with olive oil.
2. Grate the sweet potato with a food processor or box grater. Transfer to a large bowl and mix with eggs, sugar, lemon zest and ginger, until well blended.
3. Add in the whole-wheat pastry flour, salt, baking powder, olive oil, applesauce, walnuts, and raisins. Mix just until well blended. Do not over mix!
4. Spoon into muffin tins, filling the tins just under the brim. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick—the toothpick should have some pieces of muffin on it, but not raw. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly before eating.