25 mins to prepare
2 hrs 40 mins to cook, plus resting time
Ingredients: 1.6kg (3lb) chicken
1 red onion, thickly sliced
2 tsp olive oil
4 tbsp fresh pesto
4 garlic cloves, bruised
100ml (3 1/2fl oz) chicken or vegetable stock
100ml (3 1/2fl oz) white wine
For the vegetables
3 red peppers, deseeded and sliced into thick strips
1 aubergine, cut into 2cm (1in) cubes
2 courgettes, sliced into batons
500g (1lb) baby potatoes, sliced into 1cm (1/2in) rounds
2 tbsp olive oil
small handful fresh basil leaves, to serve
100g (3 1/2oz) rocket, to serve
Method: 1. Preheat the oven to gas 2, 150°C, fan 130°C.
2. Spread the onion out in roasting tin and drizzle with the oil.
3. Gently ease the skin away from the breast and insert 3 tablespoons of pesto into the gap. Smooth the skin back over the chicken, and smooth the pesto out underneath.
4. Rub the skin with a little seasoning, and add garlic into the cavity.
5. Place the chicken into a roasting tin, with the breast-side up. Tie the legs with string. Pour the stock and wine over the chicken, cover with foil – ensuring the edges are sealed.
6. Roast for 2 hours or until cooked through and the juice run clear.
7. Meanwhile, toss the vegetables with the olive oil. Season well and spread out over a large baking tray. Set aside.
8. Turn the oven temperature to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Remove the foil from the chicken and spoon over the remaining pesto. Return to the oven along with the veg and cook for a further 15-20 minutes, until golden.
Remove the chicken from the oven and cover loosely with foil. Leave to rest for 20-30 minutes, until the veg is cooked. Serve the chicken with the veg and roasting juices. Garnish with the basil and rocket, if you like.
Nutritional Info: 589 calories / serving