4 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped thyme
400g (13oz) chestnut mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
125 ml (4fl oz) dry sherry or white wine
25g (1oz) whole-cooked vacuum-packed chestnuts
900ml (1½ pints) vegetable stock
200ml (7fl oz) creme fraiche, to serve
1. In a large pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and thyme, and fry for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and a teaspoon of salt. Cook on a high heat for about 5 minutes, until they have wilted.
3. Pour in the sherry or white wine and sizzle for a few minutes. Add the chestnuts and stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Blend until smooth. Pour back into a clean pan and add half the crème fraîche. Stir through and warm.
5. Serve in bowls with a spoonful of crème fraîche.