Serves: Makes 8 scones
Prep: 30 min
Main Ingredient: Whole Wheat
● 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
● 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
● ½ teaspoon salt
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● 1 tablespoon brown sugar
● 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, or ½ teaspoon if freshly ground
● Grated zest of 1 lemon
● 1 egg
● Milk, as needed
● 3 tablespoons cold butter
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sift the flours, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Stir in the cardamom and the sugar then add the grated lemon zest. Set aside.
3. Break the egg into a measuring jug and beat it lightly. Add enough milk to bring the egg mixture to ½ cup. Set aside.
4. Rub the butter into the flour mixture with the tips of your fingers until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Make a well, and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together with a spatula or a fork until you have a soft dough. If the dough seems dry, add more milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Knead lightly to form a ball.
5. Tip the dough onto a floured surface. Roll out into a thick disc a good 1-inch thick. Place disk on a lightly floured cookie sheet. Cut and separate into 8 wedges. Leave space between each as they will expand while cooking.
6. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes near the top of the oven. Cool slightly on a wire rack and eat warm with butter or jam.