Ingredients: 400g (13oz) dried green split peas, soaked overnight
1 onion, halved
2 bay leaves
500ml (17fl oz) low-salt chicken stock
few sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped
5 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
225g (7 1/2oz) gammon steak
large handful baby spinach
handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
40g feta cheese
Method: 1. Drain the peas and tip into a large pan. Cover with 1.5ltr (2 1/2pt) water, add the onion and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, simmer for 45 minutes, until tender.
2. Drain the peas and return to the pan. Add the stock and top up with 500ml (17fl oz) freshly boiled water. Add the thyme leaves, season well, gently simmer, over a low heat, for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook, until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Wipe most of the oil from the pan, increase the heat and fry the gammon for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, then shred into small pieces.
5. Stir the spinach into the soup and then, blend until almost smooth. Stir in most of the parsley.
6. Ladle into bowls and top with the feta, gammon, remaining parsley and crispy onions