10 mins to prepare
45 mins to cook,
20 mins to cool
● 170g (6oz) butter or dairy-free spread
● 170g (6oz) caster sugar
● 2 large eggs
● 170g (6oz) gluten and wheat-free white self-raising flour blend, sieved
● 2 lemons
● 1tbsp poppy seeds
● 2 heaped tbsp icing sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Beat the butter or spread with the sugar in an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.
3. Grate the rind from the lemons.
4. One at a time lightly beat in the eggs with a tablespoon of flour then fold in the rest of the flour along with the lemon rind, the poppy seeds and the juice of ½ a lemon.
5. Line an 18cm/7inch loaf tin with oiled non-stick baking paper. Spoon the mixture into the tin and tap the cake tin gently a few times to flatten out the top.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes and then remove from the tin onto a rack and allow to cool completely.
7. When the cake is cold, put the icing sugar in a small bowl and stir in up to 5 tsp of lemon juice - the icing needs to be quite thick but spreadable. Spoon it onto the top of the cake and then smooth it out with a spatula dipped in hot water, allowing the drips to run down the side of the cake.
8. Leave icing to set before serving.