10 mins to prepare and 15 mins to cook
1240 calories / serving
200g (7oz) salted butter
8 rashers streaky bacon
2 egg yolks
splash red wine vinegar
4 whole eggs
2 onion and chive bagels
snipped chives, to garnish
1. Slowly heat the butter until it has melted and the fat solids separate and sink to the bottom. Remove from the heat and pour the liquid butter into a small bowl and set aside. Discard the solids.
2. Bring a pan of salted water to a gentle simmer. Put the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and sit the bowl over the water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
3. Add the vinegar and some seasoning and whisk the eggs for a minute or so. Slowly pour the melted butter into the egg yolk mixture, whisking continually until all the butter has been incorporated and you have a sauce of spooning consistency. Add a little hot water, if necessary.
4. Grill the bacon for a few minutes until crisp, turning hallway through. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
5. Poach the eggs in the pan of water for 4 minutes, then scoop out and drain.
6. Toast the bagels for a couple of minutes. Top each toasted bagel half with bacon, a soft poached egg and a generous spoonful of the hollandaise sauce. Garnish with the chives and serve immediately.