5 mins preparation
20 mins cooking
2-3 hours freezing
● 200g (7oz) caster sugar
● 6 egg yolks
● 2 x 200ml cartons rice milk
● 400ml (13fl oz) soya cream
● 3 tsp vanilla extract
● chocolate spread (optional)
● chopped berries (optional)
1. In a bowl, combine the sugar and egg yolks and using an electric whisk or stand mixer, whisk the mixture until the egg yolk has become light and fluffy and a pale yellow colour.
2. Place the milk and cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to the boil. After a minute, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. Add the cream and milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly and vigorously to prevent curdling. When it is all combined, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place on a low heat.
4. Using a plastic spatula, stir the mixture constantly in a figure of eight motion. After 5-10 minutes the mixture will have thickened and will coat the back of a spoon – drag your finger across the back of the spoon and if the line holds and does not drip you have got the right consistency. Watch it very carefully, as the eggs can curdle easily if the heat is too high. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Place parchment paper directly onto the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin forming and leave to cool, then refrigerate or put in the freezer until completely chilled. Once chilled, pour the mixture into a wide flat, tray and place in the freezer.
6. After 40 minutes, remove and use a fork to mix and break down the ice crystals. Repeat this process twice more. At the final stage whizz in a food processor to make it smooth.
7. At this point you can flavour it with berries or chocolate spread. Then return to the tray and leave in the freezer to set. Remove 15 minutes before serving.
254 calories / serving