Servings: Serves 4
Ingredients: ● 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
● 1 tbsp rice flour
● 300ml soya milk
● 4 chicken breasts, skin removed
● 1 large red onions, cut into wedges
● 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
● 250g asparagus spears, blanched
● 1 tsp caster sugar
● 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
● 150ml vegetable stock
● 3 tbsp chopped tarragon
● 4 tbsp gluten-free breadcrumbs
● 1 tbsp grated dairy and lactose-free cheese
Method: 1. Mix half the oil and flour in a saucepan (off the heat), then blend in the soya milk. Bring the sauce slowly to the boil, whisking constantly, then simmer for 1 min. Remove from the heat, cover with greaseproof paper and set aside.
2. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan, add the chicken, then fry until brown (it won’t be cooked through). Transfer to an ovenproof gratin dish. Add the onions to the pan and fry for 2-3 mins. Spoon over the chicken, then top with the tomatoes and asparagus. Set aside and prepare the sauce.
3. Put the sugar and vinegar into the pan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is a dark caramel colour, then add the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 min. Whisk into the milky sauce until blended, season, then add the tarragon. Spoon sauce over the chicken and veg, sprinkle with crumbs and cheese, then bake for 20 mins.