Serves: Makes 12 muffins
Prep: 30 – 45 min
Main Ingredient: Whole Wheat
Ingredients: ● 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see Ann's Tip)
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● ½ teaspoon baking soda
● ¾ teaspoon salt
● ½ cup fine brown sugar (such as Florida Crystals), plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
● Grated peel of 1 lemon
● 1 small ripe banana, mashed
● 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
● 1 cup buttermilk
● ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
● 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
● 1½ cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
Method: You will need: 1-12 cup muffin pan well greased or lined with paper muffin cups.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl sift the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the brown sugar and lemon zest.
- In medium bowl beat together the mashed banana, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients, folding them together with 10-12 quick strokes of a spatula. The batter will be lumpy and streaked with dry flour, but it is essential not to over-mix the batter for a tender muffin.
- Carefully fold in ¾ of the cranberries with another 4-5 strokes. By this time the batter should be mixed in but still a little uneven. If it is too smooth, you’ve over-mixed it.
- Fill the muffin cups ½ - ⅔ full, depending on preferred size, scatter the remaining cranberries on top and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of brown sugar.
7. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.