Prep: 20 – 30 min
Main Ingredient: Whole Wheat
● 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (see Ann’s Tip)
● 1 cup unbleached all-purpose white flour
● ½ teaspoon salt
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● 1 tablespoon brown sugar
● 2 tablespoons butter
● ⅔ cup low-fat milk
● ¼ cup dried cranberries
● ¼ cup chopped walnuts
For a richer scone, break 1 egg into a measuring jug, and add milk to bring it up to ⅔ cup. Beat together. Add at step 2 instead of plain milk.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sift the flours, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. Rub in the butter with the tips of your fingers or in a food processor.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the milk. Mix together with a spatula or a fork until a soft dough is formed. If the dough seems dry, add more milk a tablespoon at a time. Fold the chopped nuts and cranberries into the dough.
4. Knead lightly to form a ball. Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a thick disc about 1¼ inches high. Place disk on a lightly floured cookie sheet. Cut into 8 wedges and separate to give the scones room to swell and rise.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes near the top of the oven. Cool slightly on a wire rack and eat warm with butter or homemade compote.