25 mins to prepare 45 mins to cook
Ingredients: ● 4 skinless chicken breasts
● 50ml sunflower oil
● 1 onion, chopped
● 2 cloves garlic, chopped
● 1 red chilli, de-seeded
● 1tsp mustard seeds
● 1tsp ground fenugreek
● 1tsp cumin seeds
● 2tsp coriander seeds
● 1tsp chilli powder
● 1tsp garam masala
● 1tsp caster sugar
● 400ml coconut milk
● 200ml basmati rice, rinsed in several changes of cold water and drained
● 400ml boiling water
● slices of naan bread
● juice of 1/2 lemon
● parsley leaves, to garnish
Method: 1. Add the rice and a little salt to the boiling water in a large saucepan. Bring back to the boil, cover, and then reduce to a simmer for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat, keep the lid on and set to one side.
2. Heat a large frying pan then add the cumin, coriander, fenugreek and mustard seeds and toast until you can smell an aroma from the spices. Remove from the heat and grind into a powder.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over a moderate heat and sweat the onion until soft. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Add the red chilli, the ground spices, the chilli powder, garam masala, sugar and 1 tsp of salt at this point, stir well, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and 100ml of water to the dish and bring to a simmer.
4. Add the chicken and simmer for 12-15 minutes until it is cooked through with no pink showing. Season using salt, pepper and lemon juice. Re-heat the rice if necessary and spoon into individual pudding dishes. Invert the pudding bowls of rice onto serving bowls and spoon the hot curry on top of the rice.
5. Serve with a garnish of parsley leaves and slices of the toasted naan bread on the side.
Nutritional Info: 546 calories / serving