5 mins to prepare and 40 mins to cook
Ingredients: 1kg (2lb) butternut squash, cut into cubes, seeds reserved
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 red chilli, finely chopped
600ml (1pt) vegetable (or chicken stock, for a non-veggie version)
4 slices sourdough, toasted
75g (3oz) soft goat’s cheese
extra-virgin olive oil, to serve (optional)
Method: 1. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
2. Spread the squash out on a large baking sheet and drizzle with half the oil. Roast for 25 minutes, or until tender. Remove and set aside.
3. Reduce oven temperature to gas 1, 140°C, fan 120°C. Sprinkle the reserved squash seeds over a separate baking tray and put in the oven to dry out.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, or until softened.
5. Add the roasted squash, cumin and chilli to the onions, cook for a further minute before pouring over the stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Blend until smooth; season to taste.
6. Spread the sourdough toasts with the goat’s cheese; season with black pepper. Drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil (if using). Ladle the soup into bowls and scatter over the dried seeds.
7. Serve with the goat’s cheese toasts.
Nutritional Info: 288 calories / serving