Prep: 30 – 45 min
Main Ingredient: Potatoes
1. Put the potatoes into a pot, with just enough water to cover them and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, drain and mash. Set aside.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add the shallots and carrots and stir-fry until they start to soften. Add the thicker stalk ends of the cabbage, reserving the tender parts of the leaves. Continue to stir-fry until they start to soften.
4. Turn the heat down to medium. Sprinkle the vegetables with the remaining salt and cover.
5. Cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the cabbage has softened and started to brown. Add the reserved cabbage leaves and mix in well. Cover again and cook until the leaves have wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the mint to the cabbage and fry for 1 minute.
6. Mix in the mashed potatoes to the cabbage mixture. In the pan, form it into a thick round cake. Brown the bottom of the cake over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
7. Cover the pan with a plate and flip the cake onto the plate with the browned side up.
8. Carefully slide the cake back into the pan and brown the other side. It’s done. Serve immediately.