Serves: Makes 8 small pancakes
Prep: 20 – 30 min
Main Ingredient: Whole Wheat
● 1 very ripe banana, peeled
● 1 egg
● Milk as needed
● ⅔ cup whole wheat pastry flour
● 1 teaspoon baking powder
● ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
● 1 medium ripe banana, peeled and diced
● 1-2 tablespoons golden raisins, soaked in hot water then drained
● 1 tablespoon melted butter, plus more for frying
● 1 pinch sea salt
1. In a 2 cup measuring jug, mash the ripe banana with a fork. Add the egg and enough milk to reach the 1 cup line. Beat together until well blended.
2. In a large bowl sift together the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and nutmeg. Stir in the banana mixture, melted butter or oil, diced banana and raisins.
3. Lightly coat a wide skillet with butter or oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Test the temperature of the pan by sprinkling some water into the pan – the water should sputter and evaporate immediately. Drop ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto the pan. Cook in batches, do not crowd your pan.
4. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or when bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes, turn over until browned. Serve immediately with toasted chopped walnuts along with maple syrup and butter.